Weight Loss Stats and Measurements

This is a record of my weight loss (W) and inches lost (I) post-op:

Starting weight before surgery: 322.0 lb. Prior to surgery I lost 22lbs.

Weight on day of surgery: 300.0 lb

Starting weight after surgery: 312.0 (often times you will gain weight while in the hospital due to i.v. fluids and gas pumped into the abdomen.)

Total weight loss to date is 74.3 pounds, which includes 10lbs lost pre-op. The record below is of post-op weight loss only.

Month 1 (Jan. 2012)~ -30lbs lost (W), Did not take measurements at this point.

Month 2 (Feb. 2012)~ -10.2lbs lost (W), -16 inches lost total from arms, bust, hips, waist, thighs and neck (I)

Saturday, October 29, 2011

New Eating & Exercise Plan and Several Appointments Out of the Way!!

Hi there! I have been one busy bee!! I had my first appointment with Beaumont Hospital's weight control center which handles every aspect of getting me ready to consult with their surgeon regarding my surgery. As I mentioned in a previous blog, I also had an appointment with Henry Ford Hospital's weight loss surgery program, but I was so impressed with Beaumont's that I decided stick with them.

Since my last time blogging, I have seen a dietician, exercise physiologist and had a complete medical overhaul with the surgeon's nurse practitioner. I had several more tubes of blood drawn and another EKG done as the first one showed a fast heart rate which they felt was probably due to having had an albuterol treatment for my asthma just before having the EKG. My bloodwork did show a vitamin D deficiency (which I was already aware that I had), a protein deficiency...more about that in a minute...and iron deficiency.

I am now taking prescription strength vitamin D and the dietician has given me an eating plan to follow that reduces my calories to around 1600 per day and is high in protein. It is very important to get my protein stores up before surgery as protein is very important to the healing process. The eating plan is quite straight forward and I do not have to count calories just pay attention to serving sizes. I really did learn a lot at my nutrition appointment. Such as how important it is to eat small amounts about every three hours to keep my metabolism going.

I have to admit that I was a little hungry yesterday, but I think a lot of it was head hunger. My mind always plays tricks on me if I start focusing of food and eating healthy; I become hyperfocused to a large degree. Suddenly any and everything edible looks just oh so delicious and I just have to have it....all in my mind. I can really see that this head hunger phenomenon is going to be a struggle. I have been recording what I am eating along with my blood sugar levels in the morning before breakfast and right before I go to bed as my they have been creeping up a bit.

On to the exercise physiology aspect of my journey...I have been given a pedometer to track how many steps I am taking in a day and the goal is to be at least around 10,000 steps. Well, let's just say I am waaaayyyyyy off from that number, LOL. Yesterday I only totaled 1,283 steps!! So, my plan is to walk, walk, walk. Whenever and where ever I can! It is getting cold where I live and so I will have to move indoors soon, but I am determined to get to that 10,000 step mark. I was also given exercises to do in the gym and to workout for 30 minutes at least 3-5 times per week.

Change is not easy but it can be done!! I may not have to do the 6 month supervised diet as I wrote before, but I am still checking into that and I will keep you all posted on the final outcome. In the meantime I have a goal to lose 17 pounds in the next 2 1/2 months as prescribed by my surgery team! My psychological review and stress test are both coming up soon and after that, it is off to see the surgeon!! Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment