Weight Loss Stats and Measurements

This is a record of my weight loss (W) and inches lost (I) post-op:

Starting weight before surgery: 322.0 lb. Prior to surgery I lost 22lbs.

Weight on day of surgery: 300.0 lb

Starting weight after surgery: 312.0 (often times you will gain weight while in the hospital due to i.v. fluids and gas pumped into the abdomen.)

Total weight loss to date is 74.3 pounds, which includes 10lbs lost pre-op. The record below is of post-op weight loss only.

Month 1 (Jan. 2012)~ -30lbs lost (W), Did not take measurements at this point.

Month 2 (Feb. 2012)~ -10.2lbs lost (W), -16 inches lost total from arms, bust, hips, waist, thighs and neck (I)

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Story & Starting the Weight Loss Surgery Process

Well, I am finally taking the first steps to having weight loss surgery! I have been dreaming about the day when our insurance would cover the procedure and the day has arrived. I really feel that I should document my journey as being overweight has really affected my life in so many, many ways and I want to document this transformation for myself.

A bit about me...I am 39; soon to be 40 in November :-). I have been married for 17 years and my husband Mario and I have 6 children. I am currently in graduate school studying to become a licensed counselor. Weight has been an ongoing issue in my life. I have been overweight since childhood and have been on weight watchers so many times I can't even count. I have joined Jenny Craig several times as well. I have tried e-diets and countless other diets. I have lost weight dieting only to regain what I initially lost plus more. This yo-yo cycle of losing and regaining became a familiar way of life for me. The guilt I would feel after regaining the weight was a heavy burden. I have suffered a great deal emotionally and physically in relation to carrying 100+ extra pounds on my 5'4" frame. Always being picked last for team sports in gym class in grade school, not being asked on many dates in high school, not being able to play comfortably on the floor with my children are just of the few humiliations I have endured in relation to being overweight. My health is also another reason I am embarking on this journey. I have rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, diabetes and degenerative disc disease of the neck and lower back. Losing weight can't eliminate all of these conditions, but it will certainly help.

As time has gone on I realize that I can diet until the cows come home but my weight problem is a much deeper issue then just a lack of will power. I need assistance with my weight issues and food addiction. This blog will detail the good, the bad, and the ugly of my surgical weight loss journey. I intend to be brutally honest as I am not just doing this for myself, but anyone who is thinking about weight loss surgery or anyone who is struggling with weight issues.

Now on to the "fun" stuff (I am joking here, but trust me, I know how serious the decision I have made is)...I have attended the introductory weight loss surgery seminar at the hospital I chose and purchased what is known by my surgeon's office as the "blue binder". I am sure I will mention it a lot as it has every bit of information that I will need to prepare myself for bypass surgery and information regarding my care afterward. I am scheduled for a physical and preliminary blood work and an EKG next Wednesday with my primary care physician. Once that is complete I will have my initial consultation with the surgeon (woohoooo :-)).   I have already begun to make little changes that will be a normal part of life for me after surgery.  For example, I have given up diet soda and I am no longer drinking out of a straw and I have actually made it one whole week without either! This sounds little but for me it is HUGE.  I love an ice cold soda and call me neurotic but I HATE drinking directly from the glass when eating out, :-).  My next change will be to make sure that I am eating a healthy breakfast daily.  I will let you know how things are going next week...Let the journey begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment