Weight Loss Stats and Measurements

This is a record of my weight loss (W) and inches lost (I) post-op:

Starting weight before surgery: 322.0 lb. Prior to surgery I lost 22lbs.

Weight on day of surgery: 300.0 lb

Starting weight after surgery: 312.0 (often times you will gain weight while in the hospital due to i.v. fluids and gas pumped into the abdomen.)

Total weight loss to date is 74.3 pounds, which includes 10lbs lost pre-op. The record below is of post-op weight loss only.

Month 1 (Jan. 2012)~ -30lbs lost (W), Did not take measurements at this point.

Month 2 (Feb. 2012)~ -10.2lbs lost (W), -16 inches lost total from arms, bust, hips, waist, thighs and neck (I)

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

First appointment went well!

Well, I had my first appointment with my internist to get the ball rolling in the surgery process. I had an EKG done, lots of blood drawn, and a chest x-ray. I discussed the surgery in depth with my physician and she gave me her recommendation for the either the by-pass surgery or the sleeve gastrectomy. The sleeve is pretty much not an option for me as my insurance does not cover it as a stand alone procedure.

I have been doing a lot of research on the Roux-n-Y vs. the sleeve and the duodenal switch. I am fairly certain that the roux is the best choice for me. I do have a concern about the potential for weight regain that seems to be an issue for some people over the long term. I plan to discuss this at my surgeon consults next week. I have a surgeon consult appointment next Tuesday at Beaumont Weight Control and another surgeon consult with Henry Ford West Bloomfield next Thursday. I will compare both programs and choose which one I feel is best for me. I have other medical conditions (Rheumatoid Arthritis and G6PD)and I want to find out how the surgery will affect those conditions or if they put me at an increased risk for surgery.

My insurance is going to require a six month failure at a supervised diet, which I think is ridiculous. Obviously I have failed plenty of diets as I wouldn't be where I am right now! This pushes my surgery time frame back and it looks like I won't be having surgery until May or June 2012!! The insurance language regarding what "supervised" means is vague and of course I am getting the run around from them when I call to inquire about it. Henry Ford said that I should join Weight Watchers and keep documentation of my weigh in's but I would hate to do that and then Blue Cross doesn't accept it as a professionally supervised program. Beaumont has physician supervised weight control programs, but from what I understand the program is very expensive. I will just have to wait and see what options I have after I meet with both surgeons.

I have been doing well drinking without a straw and staying away from soda! This week I am going to begin practicing eating slowly and chewing my food completely which are things I will have to do after surgery. I will post next week after my surgeon consults!

No comments:

Post a Comment